Power Electronics Lead Engineer
- Role type
- Closing Date
Located at our office in Santa Clara, California this position is responsible for the analysis of a product development project, using capabilities in the analysis, design, scheduling of tasks, assessment of costs within the Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Business Unit and in support of Ricardo’s strategic plan. This position will set the research strategy, create roadmaps, and lead the execution of technical projects.
- Under the direction of Engineering Operations Director, analyze and design electrical circuits and systems. Responsible for the analysis of a product development project, using capabilities in the analysis, design, scheduling of tasks, assessment of costs. Participates in generating design specifications for products and directing other engineers and technicians activities to support execution of those designs.
- Identify and promote new methodologies and processes to bring efficiency to the development process.
- Participate in prototype validation testing and product qualification testing, with respect to schedule and problem resolution for assigned programs.
- Responsible for participating in Competitive Analysis exercises to determine new product requirements.
- Develops products utilizing required development processes and process improvement.
- Assist manufacturing in the resolution of test and manufacturing issues for products, and to assist field service in the resolution of field application issues with respect to product performance and system design. Interface with customers in equipment conception, testing and start-up.
- Complete design and implementation documentation as specified by the Common Development Processes, and associated with the functional process requirements.
- Document notes that thoroughly explain conceptual thoughts, conditions, restrictions, analysis, synthesis, and test results that serve as justification for circuit and design and test results.
- Complete design and implementation documentation as specified by the Project Manager.
- Understand and practice laboratory procedures for the safe and efficient use of electronic instrumentation, electrical power, rotating electrical machinery, and general laboratory cleanliness.
- Analyze tasks, schedule tasks, and be the technical contributor in the cost effective implementation of them. Assuming responsibility and accountability for their timely completion.
- Responsible for the activities of any direct report personnel including training, input for performance appraisals, promotion recommendations, but not including salary administration.
- Ensures thorough familiarity with policies and procedures relating to standards of business conduct, and trains and motivates subordinates in the importance of full compliance with the letter and spirit of such policies and procedures.
- Some travel required. Typically less than 10%.
- Directs projects with the scope of client-defined project specifications; plans engineering programs and organizes project staff according to project requirements.
- Acts as a decision maker where significant changes in direction or corrective action are required.
- Gives guidance on complex technical problems
- Develops new, creative approaches to existing methods, applying existing criteria in new ways and drawing conclusions from comparative situation.
- Established and maintains standards, consistency and quality for all aspects of his/her projects.
- Hybrid and electric vehicle expertise including deep knowledge of all key components’ design and how they interface with other subsystems. Knowledge of overall system architectures applicability to various drive cycles with respect to performance attributes and limitations.
- Demonstrated core expertise in real-time, embedded systems and control platforms
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to execute new technology development projects with multiple stakeholders in matrixed organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical acceptable; Master’s preferred or equivalent experience.
- Ability of simulation of power converter and motor drive system.
- Knowledge of control principal of grid tie converter and/or active front end rectifier design.
- Knowledge of electrical and electro-mechanical circuits and systems in all three of the disciplines of analog, digital, and power using simulation tools and procedures.
- Ability of simulation.
- Familiar with Design for Six Sigma principals of statistical analysis and problem/solution selection.
- Knowledge of control principal of adjustable speed drive and power converter designs.
- Ten years relevant industry experience, including responsibility for engineering solutions for the product from design to application, in similar industries.
- Solid knowledge of industry design and safety standards;
- Demonstrated business development experience linked to strategic planning with examples of effectively delivered strategy, particularly in high-growth areas.
- Experience managing people as well as programs involving multiple disciplines and departments. Demonstrated ability to mentor, develop and attract high performance, technical talent.
- Strong presence and impact; results-driven; highly motivated to sell and deliver.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to drive a vision of the future and convert into profit.
- Established network in industry and product group.
- Exceptional communication skills with all levels, both inside and outside of the company.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across functions and organization; excellent listening and relationship building skills.