Senior Consultant - Electric Vehicles and Alternative Transport Fuels
- Role type
- London, Oxfordshire (Harwell), Utrecht
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy operating across the world. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Sustainable Transport team delivers analysis to clients on the major environmental, social and economic challenges facing the transport sector. We provide support to governments to help develop a fully sustainable transport system, including measures to improve fuel efficiency, reduce pollution, improve safety, cut congestion and improve urban mobility. Our transport sector work is highly influential, and has been used to support the development and implementation of a wide range of local, national and international policy measures in the field of transport. Our work has a strong focus on analysing the performance, costs and benefits of low emission transport technologies and fuels, including electric vehicles, biofuels, and hydrogen fuel cell technologies.
We are seeking a Senior Consultant to support the delivery and growth of Ricardo Energy & Environment’s portfolio of projects on electric vehicles, alternative fuels and other transport technologies. Work in this area includes consultancy projects for corporate clients, local authorities, national Government organisations and the European Commission. You will manage and collaborate on a wide range of consultancy projects to help clients deploy electric vehicles and/or alternative transport fuels in their own vehicle fleets as well as providing strategic advice (e.g. to local/national government organisations) on how to accelerate the deployment of these types of vehicles and fuels in the wider market. Existing knowledge of the electric vehicle and charging infrastructure markets and how they are evolving is essential (including an understanding of the interplay between the transport and energy sectors). The role will be based in either our London or Oxfordshire offices, depending on the successful candidate’s preference.
Specific requirements of the role are to undertake a range of activities depending on business needs, including:
- Managing and working on a range of consultancy projects in the field of transport-related technologies and fuels, focusing particularly on electric vehicles and alternative fuels (e.g. biofuels, hydrogen). This will include managing more junior team members working on these projects;
- Preparing proposals in response to formal invitations to tender received from a wide range of including corporate customers, trade associations, local authorities and the Department for Transport;
- Working effectively as a team member on a range of projects;
- Working closely with more senior team members to carry out business development activities that help grow our work in the areas of electric vehicles and alternative transport fuels;
- Maintain a detailed and up to date knowledge of transport-related environmental/energy policies, especially with regard to transport emissions, electric vehicles, low-emission transport technologies and alternative transport fuels.
The role is a mid-level position with responsibility for:
- Managing a range of consultancy projects focused on the topics of electric vehicles, alternative fuels and other transport technologies.
- Leading and providing written content and technical analysis for the preparation of reports, as well as leading or contributing to the development of proposals for new work.
- Carrying out numerical analysis and spreadsheet modelling to support consultancy projects, including cost/benefit analysis and total cost of ownership calculations.
- Presenting Ricardo Energy & Environment’s work at client meetings.
- Working effectively as a team member on a range of projects.
Key Competencies and Experience:
- A first or upper second-class BSc (or Masters/PhD) in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry Mathematics or Economics.
- Candidates must demonstrate sufficient prior consultancy experience to show the required competencies.
- Previous experience in managing consultancy projects on electric vehicles and/or EV charging infrastructure is desirable.
- Fluency in English is essential.
Skills and Behaviours:
- Very strong verbal communication skills.
- Excellent report-writing and numerical analysis skills (spreadsheet modelling capabilities are desirable).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are also essential as this is very much a customer-facing role, along with very strong numerical analysis and/or spreadsheet modelling skills.
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and other staff members.
- Desire to apply existing knowledge and skills to new technical areas.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.