Principal Consultant - Dispersion Modelling
- Role type
- Glasgow, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Air Quality & Environment Practice team of over 100 consultants, scientists and engineers develop and apply state-of-the-art tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to difficult air quality problems. Our team includes knowledge leaders on air quality measurement, inventory development, modelling, exposure assessment, chemical modelling, public health impacts, information management and data visualisation. Our clients benefit from the full range of air quality services that result in solutions and strategies tailored to addressing challenges at local, city and national scales. We deliver hundreds of projects every year, to public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, including flagship programmes such as the UK’s national air quality measurement network (AURN), the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI) and the annual national scale air quality modelling assessment on behalf of UK Government.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Consultant to support a range of exciting and innovative projects within our Modelling team.
You will be responsible for the delivery of technical projects including communication with clients and managing your time across several projects and business areas. You will work closely with colleagues in Glasgow, Harwell, London and Manchester offices to deliver high quality solutions on a range of projects including environmental impact assessment for proposed developments and scenarios for policy development. The role will include significant air quality technical work using relevant modelling software, provision of technical reports, project management and proposal writing.
Specific tasks will be dependent on your level of experience, but are likely to include business development and the preparation of proposals to win new contracts, managing projects to time and costs and the technical delivery of projects. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work, and will work alongside other consultants including Knowledge Leaders and the Business Area Manager to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
Key Competencies & Experience
- We welcome applications from those with relevant work experience in the UK and preferably overseas.
- Applicants will have a solid understanding of air quality issues and legislation and have experience of dispersion modelling.
- A Bachelors (2.1 or above), Masters or PhD in a scientific subject
- Experience in a consultancy or in a customer facing commercial environment
- Strong numeracy skills and a talent for numerical analysis are essential preferably including ‘R’
- Geographic Information System (GIS) skills and experience in Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling System (ADMS or other similar dispersion models)
- Strong MS Excel skills
Skills & Behaviours
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral and basic presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
- Strong team working skills
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.