Chief Engineer Autonomous and ADAS Technologies
- Role type
- Santa Clara, Detroit
- Closing Date
Chief Engineer Autonomous and ADAS Technologies is a member of the HES Leadership team and will lead, manage, and direct the work on a wide range of initiatives to support the strategic and operational goals of the CAV organization. Responsible for technical leadership (project, and research), and technology development in the area of autonomous and ADAS technology. Additionally, this position will support business development, helping to seek out, sell, and deliver profitable engineering consulting orders within the Hybrid & Electronic Systems Product Group in support of Ricardo’s strategic plan. Will author proposals to perspective clients.
This position will operate as a partner and advisor to business leaders by leveraging subject matter expertise, providing sound, practical engineering and business advice, and employing a creative approach to problem solving as well as actively participating in critical and complex proposal drafting and negotiations.
Integrity, strength of character, ability to thrive under pressure, humility, reliability and surefooted confidence are all integral attributes of the management for this role. Will be counted on to lead and support performance and accountability culture. Deliver profitable engineering consulting orders within the HES Product Group in support of Ricardo’s strategic plan. This position requires strong background in algorithm development, machine learning, automotive electrical architecture and control theory. The candidate must have a in the ability to support identifying, and winning CAV business and to set the bar for technical excellence through thought leadership and excellence in technical project delivery.
Business Acumen & Strategy
- Help develop technical road maps for C&AV aspects of the business.
- Assist H&ES/C&AV develop their 5 year technology planning. Provides recommendations for tactical and strategic planning
- Visit Ricardo customers, including traditional OEM’s, Tier 1 suppliers, new market entrants, start-ups, and PE/VC firms to grow client base.
- Helps create a growing pipeline of qualified leads and opportunities that ‘convert’ to a steady stream of technical consultancy work for the business unit.
- Helps develop plan to fill Santa Clara with Technical Consulting work to be done in Santa Clara.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance
- Leads and/or participates in various engineering programs and supports other department managers as necessary, which may include:
- Identifies and delivers research opportunities to push forward capabilities, technologies or processes
- Decisions made with in-depth understanding and interpretation of procedures, company policies and business practices to achieve complex results. Responsible for setting project, department and/or division deadlines. Errors in judgment may cause long-term impact to line of business and/or overall company
- Provides resource estimates for future program planning in customer proposals
- Develops unique selling propositions (USP) and intellectual property (IP) to attract new customers and expand offering to existing customer base
- Creates and proposes new (unsolicited) programs to customers, where appropriate
- Delivers superior levels of customer service to both internal and external customers while demonstrating Ricardo’s core values of respect, integrity, creativity and innovation, and passion
- Anticipates and responds to client’s needs
- Creates proposals that provide cost, quality and timing information with appropriate assumptions to internal and external customers for requested quotations
- Implements and promotes a customer-driven service culture
- Helps H&ES BU MD recruit and interview candidates for the Santa Clara Technical Center
- Team Building - Well connected to the community at-large to recruit and attract top-notch talent to grow the team. The proper candidate will know, will have experience with and be respected by a slew of people from various development disciplines
- Manages the planning, organization, and controls for the department. Will be responsible for a mix of direct and matrix reports
- Ensures competence and continuity of qualified staff through optimum selection, development, appraisal and motivation techniques in accordance with the system EEO policy and appropriate policies and procedures
- Manage engineers in teams assigned to you; guide/mentor them, share knowledge and provide technical guidance to other team members within area of expertise
- Motivates staff to engage in direct selling to clients outside of product group sales channels
- Cascades corporate and management direction to staff through regular meetings
- Leads interfaces with various key clients, to identify potential needs, develop workable solutions and integrate solutions into written proposals.
- Regular and effective communication up and down organization
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret the most complex business documents
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive issues
- Ability to write reports, speeches and articles using distinctive style
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to employees, clients, top management and/or public groups. Ability to motivate and negotiate effectively with key employees, top management, and client groups to take desired action
- Solid understanding of the technology trends and market needs to create value added propositions for the local CA client base.
- Technical leadership in devising innovative solutions in engineering services; maintains awareness of current and emerging advanced engineering technologies, tools and methods that impact the delivery of projects
- Proven ability to seek and identify engineering business opportunities for the H&ES/C&AV Business Unit, networking to develop leads and convert to sales, both individually and jointly with Business Development and Engineering teams.
- Solid knowledge of industry design and safety standards; relevant business experience including familiarity with negotiating contracts including pricing, protecting IP and setting payment terms as well as crafting proposals and executing NDAs
- Results Oriented - ability to make data driven decisions on product, service optimizations, and adjustments. Drive revenues
- Planning - Experienced in translating brainstorming sessions into specific qualified and quantified functions. Ability to develop detailed plans with specific goals, priorities, timelines and budgets to effectuate ideas into products and product feature sets Prepares and negotiates with various key clients all proposals, deliverables, project timing, milestones, pricing, contractual terms and conditions, and ownership of intellectual property.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to solve advanced problems and deal with a variety of options in complex situations. Requires expert level analytical and quantitative skills with proven experience in developing strategic solutions for a growing matrix-based multi-industry sales environment. Draws upon the analysis of others and makes recommendations that have a direct impact on the company.
- Change Management - Ability to manage complexity and change
- Leads by example and models behaviors that are consistent with the company's values. Leader, motivator and self-starter
- Ten years relevant industry experience with progressive responsibility and leadership including engineering solutions for the product from design to application in similar industries
- Highly professional in appearance and approach; exudes expertise and credibility
- Deep knowledge of cutting edge engineering technologies and demonstration of research and development
- Delivers superior levels of customer service to both internal and external customers while demonstrating Ricardo’s core values of respect, integrity, creativity and innovation, and passion.
- Proven track record of project delivery - ensures overall delivery to budget and timing.
- Demonstrated business development experience
- Sound strategic thinker; ability to identify opportunities; initiator of improvements
- Strong but customer-aware negotiation skills; ability to influence
- Demonstrated ability to effectively multi-task
- Excellent presentation skills and communication skills; ability to condense complex issues into succinct messages
- Strong problem solving, analytical and listening skills
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic and matrixed organization
- Demonstrated ability to make tough business and leadership decisions
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel, Access and Power Point
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering; Master’s degree preferred