Rolling Stock Electrical Systems Consultant/ Senior Consultant
- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Rolling Stock Electrical Systems Consultant/ Senior Consultant
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Due to continued growth, Ricardo Rail are looking to strengthen their established and industry leading rolling stock team to support the delivery of existing and new projects. The role we are seeking to fill is that of a senior electrical systems consultant to support the delivery of rolling stock projects, these will include fleet consultancy, design and assurance projects.
As a lead consultant you will work on the delivery of projects providing expert advice to the project and directly to the client as required where you will be required to manage the delivery of your own work to the client and that of others within the team to timescale, cost and quality.
As we also undertake assurance work you will be required to review and asses compliance with standards such as EC Directives, Technical Specifications for Interoperability (TSIs), Railway Group Standards and other related standards such EN50121 for EMC.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Work with clients to understand ultimate objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- Work as an individual and as part of a team to lead and deliver specific work packages to quality, time and budget
- Ensure that the work scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed, and that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed.
- Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle
- Produce electrical engineering calculations and reports to support the project as required
- To check and approve electrical engineering calculations and reports produced by others in the team
- Support the bidding process to deliver proposals, identifying potential risks, devising the approach, specifying clear acceptance criteria, resourcing and costs.
- Ability to carry out Project Engineering duties in managing the engineering aspects of a project both with a single person team or as a multi discipline team across a larger project.
- To act as a mentor to junior electrical engineers within the rolling stock teams
- Engineering Degree qualified
- Chartered Engineer through a relevant engineering institution, or able to achieve depending on experience
Technical expertise & skills required:
- Ideally you will have experience in electrical systems on a variety of rolling stock types including EMUs, DMUs, locomotives and coaches and systems from heavy current and traction systems to light current auxiliary and control systems.
- Strong experience in more than one of the following:
Electrical Systems (doors, HVAC etc.)
Current collection and distribution
Earthing and Bonding
- Strong skills in Excel and other analytic packages
- Good knowledge of UK rail industry
We are the rail consultancy team within the Ricardo group that provides specialist engineering services to help rail clients navigate the industry's operational, commercial and regulatory demands.
We have over 600 rail specialists based either in our own technical centres or working directly from client offices, depots and manufacturing sites, and together we support a client portfolio that ranges from some of the world’s largest rail administrations to niche component suppliers.
As part of the wider Ricardo group we are also members of a wider community of around 2,900 engineers, consultants and scientists providing strategic, technical and niche manufacturing services for a range of sectors including passenger car, motorsport, rail, clean energy and power generation.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.
For further information or to make an application please contact Donna.Baker@ricardo.com quoting the job