Position Title: Rolling Stock Traction - Principal/ Senior/ Consultant
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c130 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide consultancy and independent assurance services, including NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across infrastructure and rolling stock to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufacturers, ROSCOs, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
Due to continued growth we are looking to strengthen our rolling stock team to support the delivery of existing and new projects.
- The role we are seeking to fill is that of a senior traction consultant to support the delivery of our rolling stock projects.
- You will have experience in the design, application and operation of electric traction systems including modern IGBT 3 phase drive traction systems (AC/DC) including from the current collection through to the traction motors and protection systems.
- Ideally you will have experience in demonstrating the compatibility of rolling stock with the infrastructure, Electrical Engineering and Control Systems (EE&CS), EMC and experience in rolling stock electrical systems engineering and an understanding of switching harmonics and failure modes.
- You should also have working knowledge of applicable standards including: Technical Specifications for Interoperability (TSIs), Railway Group Standards (e.g. GE/RT8270) and other EMC related standards such as EN50121.
- Experience of producing Engineering Safety Cases / Compatibility Files using the CSM for risk assessment and/or EN50126/8/9 or if required produce the safety risk assessment on behalf of the client is also desirable either in terms of developing compliance or the independent assessment.
- As a leading consultant, you will work on the delivery of projects providing expert advice to projects and directly to the client as required.
- You will also act as a project manager for relevant projects within your area of expertise. You will be required to prepare proposals and manage the delivery of your own work to the client and that of others within the team to quality, time and budget.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Work with clients to understand ultimate objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- As part of a team, lead and deliver specific work packages to quality, time and budget.
- Manage projects and deliver work-streams, taking direction from the Project Director when required. Ensure that the work scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed, and that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed. Initiate timely and accurate invoicing so that invoicing targets are met. Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle.
- Manage and deliver proposals, identifying potential risks, devising the approach, specifying clear acceptance criteria, resourcing and costs.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Engineering Degree qualified
- Chartered Engineer through a relevant engineering institution or able to achieve depending on experience.
- Relevant experience in EMC/ Electrical Compatibility related projects
- A working knowledge of relevant standards such as EN50121.
- Strong experience in more than one of the following:
- Electrical Systems
- Propulsion Systems
- Electrical Machines
- Current collection/ OLE Compatibility/ Harmonic Resonance
- Electrical Protection Systems
- EMC/ Traction Testing/ Commissioning
- Strong skills in Excel and other analytic/ simulation packages e.g. Matlab, Mathcad, Microcap
- Good knowledge of the UK rail industry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with many audiences
- A visible passion for the rail industry
- Experience of leading and managing project teams
- Flexibility to travel in the UK and short durations overseas if required