Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Water and Environment practice of Ricardo Energy & Environment, offer a comprehensive range of specialist services within the environmental consultancy sector. Nationally and internationally recognised for our expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects, our skills have been utilised by a wide range of clients within the public and private sectors including the European Commission, government, water companies and developers.
Lead and direct the establishment and development of the water technology and solutions business area within the Water and Environment practice. This is a new business stream which will be started to identify and develop opportunities for Ricardo to provide services and products to support the global water sector, through the application of the combined experience and skills of Water and Environment practice and the wider Ricardo business. In particular identifying technologies and services used in the Automotive and energy knowledge areas which can be developed and exploited in the water sector.
This will include a high level of technical knowledge and leadership, including assessing markets and business opportunities, and growing a team to implement the business plan.
Once established the Business Area Manager will lead and direct the Business Area performance in terms of the development and delivery of solutions and outcomes, turning Ricardo’s technical knowledge and expertise into solutions that enable the delivery of profitable work to achieve the company’s business targets. This includes both business development and “work winning” outcomes together with the delivery of programmes of work. Working in a matrix structure and utilising specialist technical and project management resources, ultimately accountable for the key performance indicators for the business area.
- Development of the strategy for the Water Technology and Solutions business area
- Responsible for the recruitment, leadership and management of staff within the Water Technology and Solutions team.
- Member of Water and Environment Practice Senior Leadership Team.
- Ownership of the development, dissemination and application of technical knowledge (including lessons learned) to all projects, providing key governance for the practice.
- Represents Ricardo on technical issues to external organisations e.g. academia, DEFRA, building and enhancing the Ricardo brand as technical leaders in environmental consultancy.
- Engagement with wider Ricardo plc colleagues (including automotive engineering and software) to develop collaborative offerings for clients.
- Own and set the strategy for the Water Technology and Solutions business area in terms of focus on technologies, tools and solutions for clients + people aspects (skills resourcing, performance and capabilities) to deliver successful outcomes.
- Lead and inspire the team to maintain and develop the organisational culture, values and the company reputation to ensure delivery of the Ricardo vision.
- Accountable for achieving the Key performance indicators for the business area.
- Work as part of the Water & Environment practice senior leadership team in the day to day operation and leadership of the division and contributing to shaping the strategic direction of the practice.
- Accountable for the leadership and management of the technical function; people, processes and tools.
- Accountable for the functional technical quality of the portfolio of projects throughout Water & Environment/Ricardo. Responsible for all aspects of project governance, including review and sign off of team deliverables.
- Water Technology ‘knowledge champion’, accountable for Water & Environment’s specialist intellectual property. Direct the development, and application of knowledge, to optimise the development of technical solutions and intellectual capital that drives business value.
- Direct the maintenance of professional expertise, with ultimate accountability for recruitment, training and development of functional technical resources to ensure functional staff are trained and have the right balance of skills for future technological and business drivers. This will include the graduate recruitment, internal progression/promotion and training placement management.
- Facilitate the flow and sharing of functional specialist knowledge across Ricardo’s activity (across the Ricardo Group), in particular with Ricardo Innovation, software and automotive engineering business area.
- Develop and maintain strategic knowledge networks with wider industry/academia. Develop and drive a university engagement programme that supports innovation and recruitment in specialist function.
- Anticipate industry/business trends and match the technical skill mix to suit. Channel technical experts to focus innovation on key opportunities for efficiency & performance improvement.
- Work with the Practice Director and other BAMS to understand future technical needs and direct the development and delivery of discipline resources, balancing project delivery and individual development.
- Actively develop and exploit external networks to seek business development opportunities and understand market opportunities including competitor intelligence
- Drive overall performance of the water technology team to achieve continuous improvement in the value delivered by Water & Environment to its customers.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer